Wednesday, January 18, 2006

On my way through the nursing home I met Decubiti....

It is still all so new to me. But, somehow, I believe looking at a patient with something like this affords me to thank god I am healthy. And it will not ever get old. We spent some time in lab yesterday with our "butt models" with varying stages of pressure sores. Here's a fine photo I found to add some color to my illustration:
And, this is just a tiny one, just to give you the idea (even though it really isn't a pressure sore, this is what they look like, AND they can go all the way to the bone=Stage 4.

We learned dressing techniques as well. I think we also learned a bit of respect of our elders and to treat them with gentleness and give them as much attention as we can. Their lives (their skin as an example) and our lives, are fragile indeed.....

PS: And, no, I never had anything that looked like this on my bowling hand in my previous life, either. Although some of my competitors had some awful grips..This is a Brown Recluse Spider bite. Yes, they are in my backyard. Oh how I love Florida. It comes with the territory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home