Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Hospice

I spent the morning yesterday with a hospice house, taking care of four patients in various stages of death.

For their privacy and mine, I will not speak of the name of the hospice. In our county, it is one of a kind, fashioned as a a real home with a large, exteneded family of workers, or "angels." This is why it is kind of unfortunate to NOT give you the name, because they accept donations and it is a wonderful cause.

I hate to say this, but this was such a needed experience for me after the start to my week. The place, the people, are filled with a peace and resonance of compassion which I can only absorb like a sponge. Yes, the patients are dying. Yes, there is sadness. But, there are other words that also push their way forward: dignity. connection. celebration of life. respect. quiet. finality. spirit. therapeutic. Recently they celebrated their first wedding at this place. A patient and her fiancee were married there. This is a very special place.

I turn patients, make sure their bed linens are straight, witness administration of the Roxinol, turn up the O2, hold a hand of a husband whose wife is passing, speak with a 40 y/o woman, unresponsive in bed, dx'd with a glioblastoma multiforme and is no longer able to eat or drink, touching her shoulder and telling her she is lucky to have a large family who have been visiting her regularly in the past four days. We don't know, maybe she could hear me, maybe not. Anything I can do to make these people more comfortable. And, in the process, my heart mends. I was given some type of gift, and I thank the entire house for the experience.

I will make a note that maybe this will be my direction in nursing. But, it is still way too soon to tell.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nurse2B said...

I am also very interested in hospice. We were able to have hospice care at home for my uncle. I am seeing that it is a totally different approach than the way dying patients are treated in a "regular" hospital. Great post.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hospice is one of the best areas of nursing- we provide a lot of hands on care as well as hand holding, critical thinking, and providing compassion to patients and families. It is what I envisioned nursing to be. In the home setting you also have an amazing amount of autonomy, which is a real plus! Good luck in school- always glad to have another nurse in the field.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home