Thursday, January 19, 2006

I was Clara



We have been asked in class to recall why it is exactly we want to become nurses. I believe it is to act as a touchstone during the hell moments that are to come for us!

I have my own story, but another memory surfaced during this process, and it had to do with Clara Barton. 1976, there was a giant 4th of July Parade in my town. I was 9, and it was our "job" as children of the town to walk in the parade in some type of historical garb. I chose (and I don't recall why...maybe I had just read something about her) Clara Barton, founder of the Red Cross.

My mother, bless her heart, had no real sewing skills. She was forced into a month-long struggle with a sewing machine passed down from her mother to create a suitable costume. I learned some new voacbulary while sitting alongside of her during this. I also learned how to "run away when things got too hot," as they often did with this project. So, the costume made, I walked proudly in the parade. This was the costume I had in my mind....something with an 1800's feel. The bottom photo is more similar to what was made-kinda with a 70's look to it. Well, it had a little red cross on it, at least. The fabric was a lesser expensive cotton blend. 4th of July rolled around, and it turned out being one of the hottest 4ths in current memory. I sweat for 5 miles of walking while my father walked with us, using a mister to hose us down every few hundred yards. My first "nursing memory."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home