Thursday, April 13, 2006

Week's Theme..

I am not one to open and read newspapers on a regular basis. The past week or 2 I have been, and I am not sure why. Maybe it is to become more connected with my own community.

Ringo Starr tickets go on sale tomorrow. One of my life goals: to see remaining Beatles in concert, so I am interested. Anyone interested in standing in line in Melbourne, FL tomorrow morning while I am at work?LOL! I saw Paul in 1989 in Worcester, MA at the Centrum. This was my last concert. Saw Beatlemania with the original cast of pseudo-Beatles 6 times when I was just a youngster. I think I was 2. No, really, I am only trying to NOT make myself 38 right now. I was even a member of Good Day Sunshine Fan Club. Went to London in 1983 and waled Abbey Road. I am such a nerd.

I then turn to the obituaries. I recognize 8 names on the page. Eight. One: A tech/friend at work's mother, who quickly declined in the past six months from lung cancer. She was 53. We all treated her and tried to be there for her daughter, my friend. She came the the ED regularly, and also worked at the hospital. I saw her last on Thursday just a week ago. She smiled when I told her she looked a lot better than the last time I had seen her.Two: An acquaintence's wife, 49. I used to bowl league with him. I am sure I had met his wife:most of the spouses do sit behind their people to root them on. But, that was another time when I cared to not remember people's faces or names. Saturday I saw him walking past me at work..."What are YOU doing here?" I ask. He tells me his wife is ill, in ICU. Tears in his eyes. She passes two days later. Three and Four: A woman I took care of just two days ago at hospice, and a man who had just passed earlier that day at hospice. Five: a local man I met while visiting his business: a martini bar, who died of cancer. He was also in his 50's. Six: the little boy from the accident on Sunday(see below blogs). Seven and Eight: Were they patients of mine, or patients of other students in the hospital or the nursing home? I cannot remember, but I remember their names.

I am tempted to return to my "not knowing" times and not watch TV or read the paper again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home