Monday, July 10, 2006

Busy Weekend

The life of an Emergency Department Tech this weekend:
  • linen and supply restocking of rooms, 0700-0900. Takes longer than normal because housekeeping short on flat stretcher sheets, all dirty laundry bags and various pickup from last shift not completed, ergo "trickle down effect" which is a busy night, tech can't finish work, it gets passed onto me, then I cannot keep up, then I pass it on (or, as my goal every shift, to NOT pass on the work!)
  • 0900-1030: assist 3 digital blocks, 1 lumbar puncture, start 3 IV's/draw labs, start cleansing of 1 wound, 1 Lac setup tray, 1 ring removal with tools, 1 posterior OCL splint with crutch instructions, 1 breakfast assist, 3 bedside commode cleanings
  • 1030: first drink of water, bathroom break of the day...go eat my yogurt (I am starving!)
  • 1045-1200: setup pts from 4 EMS arrivals, more cleaning rooms from admits/discharges, more stocking of linens that arrived late from housekeeping, IV tray restock, stock the stock room (yes, really.)
  • 1200 lunch. Man my feet hurt....watch HGTV: (wow, I have a lot of things to do around my OWN home!)
  • 1245: 4th floor calls: I am sent to do a difficult IV stick on a pt who has become the "human pin cushion." I get a 22# in the left A/C, so I kinda feel good for about 10 seconds (enough to know that the minute I start feeling good about my IVs I will miss the next 10!LOL!) This whole procedure took about 30 minutes....redress 2 tube gauze applications on the same persons 2 digits (another tech did not apply tube gauze correctly...it is now my job to both teach and not scold, and treat the patient...)
  • 1315:out to triage where I become triage tech:check-ins, door monitor, etc. This actually involves more walking than working in the back, if that is possible today..
  • 1345: find out a pt from morning IV (which took about 20 minutes in the room) has meningitis. Great. I must call infection control today (Monday) to make sure it is not bacterial, because my first OB clinical is tomorrow.
  • rest of day: check-ins, smiling, comforting, explaining wait times (which are high today...unusual for the Summer in FL)

And, here, I brought my OB notes to study for my first test Monday morning! (thinking I would have time...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home