Thursday, July 20, 2006

Looking to the Future

Ok, before I off to my little hole to study for my OB test, which is Monday. I must ask for some help and thoughtful opinions from Blog-Land:

I interviewed at Hospital "A" this afternoon for a scholarship I applied for. It pays for my full tuition (nursing school time only, so 4 semesters since I was in the transition program from paramedic,) all my books, uniforms, etc. It is not need-based, meaning my household income doesn't factor in. Hospital "A" is, actually, where I work currently. In the Emergency Department. Here's the thing. If I accept this scholarship, I must commit to 2 years after I graduate.
  • Pros: I already know the "system," and what the hospital expects of me, I get about a $6000-$6500 payment from them (geez, pays for school!) I might be able to work directly into the ED if my department head OK's it (she has already said she would consider it on a 6 month probationary period instead of the standard 3 months. She not a fan of hiring new grads directly into the department, but again, I know my wasy around as a paramedic.) And, it is only 2 years. I will almost be vested at that place by the time I am done. They have WONDERFUL benefits, and it is a beautiful place to work. Pt ratios are relatively low, too, and its a fairly new hospital. And, I would know where I was going to be come June of '07...
  • Cons: I commit myself to 2 years early in the game. Hubby states I might be able to find a better sign-on bonus with another place. I might have to go to med-surg for a while first. I might have to work nights...it is more about what positions are open at my time of graduation. I am not sure yet about ED for me, either. I liked hospice, community health, and a few other things. I have seen the most in my critical care settings, because, well, it's where I spend most of my time, and I don't see as much time for hand-holding and healing the patient, teaching the patient, if you know what I mean. And, my hubby also says I cannot "keep my options open" by taking the scholarship.

I also have other scholarship opportunities on deck. This is the first place I heard from this Summer after having applied for almost 20 scholarships around June 1. But, many of them are need-based, and with our family income I am not sure if I am considered "needy enough" (I feel rather needy, though!) Who knows, I might get some of them, and there is at least 1 which offers the same deal: full scholarship, without a 2 year commitment somewhere.

So, of you out there who are lurkers that can shed some light on this type of situation, I humbly ask for your comments...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally stumbled across your blog by accident.

Your husband might be right, but not for the reasons listed. First, think LONG and HARD about working as a new grad where you are already known. Your orientation is likely to be less than you would receive somewhere else, and frankly, being an RN is MUCH different than being a paramedic. MUCH.

Second, with the nursing shortage, there will be many opportunities open to you. Don't limit yourself right off the bat. But this is just my opinion, you need to do what is right for YOU.

I've been a nurse almost 20 years, and I can't even begin to tell you how hard it is for new grads to step into an ER or critical care position. It is one thing to know algorithms and how to perform procedures, it is another to develop critical thinking skills. I'm not saying being a nurse is better, harder, etc. it is just different.

Good luck!

2:40 PM  
Blogger hoosier nurse said...

I would LOVE to have your problem. I'm attending school in a small city, and because both the university and the community college are graduating RNs every year who are staying in the community, there isn't a nursing shortage, so the hospitals don't offer crap to go to work at them. No scholarships or signing bonus. I've applied for an Indiana Nursing Scholarship and was turned down due to husbands income. I've heard nothing from any of the other scholarships I've applied for. Since they have a bazillion people applying, and only a handful of scholarships, I'm not hopeful of those either, and I have a 3.9 GPA! Even if you decide to go for the sure thing, it's only two years. With the nursing shortage expected to go on for another 20 years, you could still write your own ticket after that, especially with some hospital nursing/paramedic experience. I think you'll be in a win/win no matter which way you decide.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home